Join our chef to make dumplings, or 餃子, with two different fillings: pork & celery, and mushroom-veggie. We’ll start with the two-ingredient dough from scratch, make our pork and veggie fillings, shape the dumplings, and then cook them! The chef will guide you through the process, from kneading to shaping, then we’ll cook by steaming, frying, or boiling. We’ll round out the class with a classic vinegar-soy dipping sauce — you’ll have dumplings for days, and might even have enough to freeze for days when you don’t feel like cooking!
No experience is required!
Your Group Will:
- Make delicious dumpling dough
- Hand fold dumplings using the ingredients of their choice (pork or vegetable)
- Create a dumpling dipping sauce from scratch
- Eat delicious homemade dumplings
Materials Needed to Participate Fully:
- 2 cups all purpose flour (plus 1 cup for shaping)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbs. oil
- 2 Tbs. black vinegar (or 1 Tbs. rice vinegar)
- 1 Tbs. neutral-flavored cooking oil (vegetable, corn, soy, canola, sunflower, avocado, or grapeseed)
- 1 lb. shiitake mushrooms (can substitute eggplant, tofu, zucchini, or canned chickpeas if you hate mushrooms)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 rib celery
- 3-4 scallions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1” piece ginger
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. rice or white wine (or 1 Tbs. rice vinegar)
- To taste salt and pepper
Pork & Scallion Filling
- 12 oz. ground pork (80/20 or 70/30 meat/fat ratios), or ground pork shoulder
- Can also substitute: 12 oz. ground chicken thighs (ground with skin and fat); 12 oz. 80/20 ground beef; or 12 oz. ground turkey with 2 Tbs. olive oil)
- 4 scallions (can use ½ bunch of chives)
- 2 ribs celery
- 1” piece ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- black pepper
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
Vinegar-Soy Dipping Sauce
- ¼ cup black vinegar (or rice vinegar, unseasoned preferred)
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil (with or without chili)
- ½” piece ginger
- 1 scallion
- Rolling pin
- Big pot and metal colander for boiling or steamer
- Big saute pan with lid
- Bench or bowl scraper
- Tea kettle or pot for boiling water
- Stand mixer or big bowl
- Bowls for filling ingredients
- Wooden spoon or rubber spatula
- 2 teaspoons or tablespoons
- 1 sheet tray for storing dumplings
How It Works:
- Your group will join our professional chef-instructor/host via Zoom (or the web conferencing software of your choice).
- The chef will walk your group step by step through the dumpling making process.
- People will have the opportunity to ask questions, get help as needed, etc., directly from the chef.
- In the end, everyone will have mastered their dumpling making skills & get to enjoy dipping their dumplings together.
- Your group is welcome to hang out and eat together and spend some quality time chatting with one another.
- We cannot provide refunds for events where materials have been shipped.
- Cancel your event for free if you provide at least a 2-week notice.
- Cancellations less than 2 weeks out will result in a fee of 50% of the minimum deposit amount.
- If you don't know your final headcount, place a hold on your date by booking the minimum group size (10 people). We'll collect the full payment after you finalize headcount.
- We host events on Zoom and can accommodate other platforms.
- We do not permit or provide event recordings. Our events are best enjoyed as live interactions.
- If you'd like to customize your event, additional fees may apply.